Friday, October 01, 2004

Fred Kaplan of Slate on Debate

This pretty much sums it up:
It seems to me that Kerry slammed this thing out of the ballpark, not just on points but also on punch lines, style, and demeanor. I find it unfathomable that anyone would conclude otherwise. But obviously, some people will. Toward the end of the debate, Bush looked uncomfortable, annoyed, startled perhaps that Kerry was all of a sudden speaking so concisely. Bush started saying things like, 'I know how the world works.' He also said foreign policy was 'hard work' at least 11 times. Will people find this folksy and hard-nosed or simply exasperated and imperious? I don't have the slightest idea.
I guess the only sure thing is that Kerry's supporters will be more energized. For the first time in this campaign the thought of a Kerry presidency actually excites me a little. We'll see how long that lasts :)

No comments: