Thursday, February 03, 2005

A Woman Touched By Sullivan

She describes how Andrew Sullivan's writing helped her gain a new perspective on the world:
One by one, my tired old beliefs began to crumble and then to collapse. I began to understand the danger of fundamental Islamic terrorism. I learned to believe more in the what conservatives call equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes. I began to understand the problem of long-term government entitlements. Your testimony of faith allowed me to revisit my decision to dismiss religion as simple superstition. I managed to remain something of a liberal on social issues, while moving to the right on issues like fighting terrorism and reigning in domestic government programs.
This may come as a surprise to some of my readers, but I find her story truly inspiring. This is liberalism at its finest; a mind's journey from static dogma to educated, real and rational thought. Make no mistake about it: Rigid Leftists are as dangerous as right-wing nutjobs.

I am going to miss Andrew Sullivan's daily rants - I didn't agree with many of them but at least the man has an independent (and razor-sharp) mind.

No comments: