Friday, June 10, 2005

Bush on Iraq in 1999

Here's a nice quote according to Bush's former ghost writer:
'He was thinking about invading Iraq in 1999,' said author and journalist Mickey Herskowitz. 'It was on his mind. He said to me: 'One of the keys to being seen as a great leader is to be seen as a commander-in-chief.' And he said, 'My father had all this political capital built up when he drove the Iraqis out of Kuwait and he wasted it.' He said, 'If I have a chance to invade, if I had that much capital, I'm not going to waste it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, most people don't read news(aside from local or the bland synopsis of national/world from the local Newhouse chain)relying on soundbites from the networks. Most people weren't aware of this before the Iraq invasion.

The sad part is that I don't think it will cause a resurgence in becoming an informed electorate

Mads Kvalsvik said...

Yep, this is true. As Burke (I think) said: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Thanks for reading!